Saturday, September 22, 2007

Enchiladas. Yummy.

One of my college BFFs shared this recipe with me after Matt and I had gone up to her family's house one weekend and Matt fell in love with the meal.

I've stayed true to the recipe with a little modification. I shred the chicken and mix it with the rice before filling. It makes for a much easier prep.

Ingredients:-
1 box mexican rice
3-4 chicken breasts cooked and cut into 1/2 inch strips or bit-sized pieces
Grated cheese (about one big package)
Ggreen enchilada sauce - a big can, short and fat, 30 or so oz-
Tortillas (I buy the 8 pack - big burrito size)

9x13 pan
Tin foil

Cook rice as instructed to.
Cook chicken and cut into pieces when done.
In an ungreased 9x13 pan pour green enchilada sauce, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan a thin layer.
Roll in tortillas cheese, rice, and chicken.
Place in pan.
About 6 should fit.
Pour remaining can of sauce over enchiladas.
Sprinkle cheese on top of enchiladas.
Cook in 350 degree oven until it bubbles around the edges and cheese is melted on top.
Last few minutes take off foil.


Boiling chicken..

Cooking a box of Mexican rice (I use Rice a Roni Spanish Rice and make sure my tomatoes have jalapeno in it!)


The chicken has been shredded up and mixed in with the rice.


The bottom of the pan has been coated with green enchilada sauce.

My prep station is set up and ready to go!
Filling the tortilla..

Look at them all folded up!

Sauce and cheese on top.. yum yum. Cover with foil at this point and bake!


After 30 ish minutes in the oven!

After the last 10 minutes without foil in the oven


1 comment:

Carrie said...

I have yet to try enchiladas. I will be soon, these look good.