Monday, July 16, 2007

Herbed Mustard-Coated Chicken

I found this recipe in a cookbook a few years ago... Can't remember which one! It's been a favorite in the years since.

Herbed Mustard-Coated Chicken

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Lightly grease a pan.

2 TBSP mustard (any kind.. I've done dijon, honey mustard, plain mustard..)
2 TBSP italian salad dressing
Optional: Garlic... I usually add about 1-2 TBSP minced

Mix together in a bowl - put aside.

Combine the following in a separate bowl:

1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 TBSP Italian Parsley, chopped (I usually resort to the dried stuff.. about the same measurements)
1 TBSP thyme, chopped (use it dry as well.. same measurements)
A few grinds of black pepper





I use a package of thinly sliced chicken breasts. If you're anal, 1 pound should do the trick. Thin or thick, your preference. I personally think thin tastes much better. (and takes less time to cook!)

Cover the chicken breasts in the mustard mixture. Lay in pan.




Equally spread out the bread crumb mixture on top of the chicken.



Melt 2 TBSP butter and pour over the top of the chicken.



Bake at 425 for 15-20 minutes.



Note: the original recipe called for mixing the butter with the bread crumbs - I find this way (pouring butter on top) makes it more crispy. The choice is yours.

Serve with sides (green veggies and pasta work great!) and ENJOY!

2 comments:

Deborah said...

These look great! I'm usually not a mustard fan but I made a similar chicken dish recently and actually really liked it - it's amazing what a crispy bread coating will do, huh? :)

Martha said...

Nestie here (Boston board), saying howdy! Just started my own food blog (throwingspoons.blogspot.com), and am enjoying reading others.

I make something similar to this chicken every once in a while. Good stuff!