Sunday, August 12, 2007

Caramelized Baked Chicken

On the forum I check almost daily, someone (Kayte) recommended caramelized baked chicken from allrecipes.com - thought it wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

DELICIOUS. I drool thinking about it even 2 weeks later!

The original recipe is:

INGREDIENTS
3 pounds chicken wings
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 cup honey
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
Place chicken in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Mix together the oil, soy sauce, ketchup, honey, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken.
Bake in preheated oven for one hour, or until sauce is caramelized.

-----------------------
We aren't big on bone-in chicken, so I substituted breasts for wings. (Approximately 1 1/2 lb worth) ... and reading the reviews, we decided to modify the recipe as follows-

- Cooked the sauce on the stovetop for about 15 minutes and added a cornstarch slurry (equal amounts of cornstarch and water) to thicken the sauce a bit.

- Poured the sauce over the chicken in a FOIL LINED pan.

- Baked at 400 for 20-25 minutes.



Delicious. I apologize for the lack of photos - I was on the mend and all I wanted was food. :) Next time we make it, I'll snap pix.

Enjoy.

No comments: